The FCC has issued a Public Notice seeking input on clearing public-safety communications from the T-band. The T-band is spectrum that many public safety users in large urban areas share with broadcasters. The Spectrum Act requires the FCC to make this spectrum available for auction in 2021.
- The Public Notice is being released to determine:
- How many licensees of all types are using the T-band
- The public vs private ratio of users
- What equipment is being used
- Where public-safety operations should be moved to
- Feedback on reimbursement considerations, incentives, the eventual configuration, and narrowbanding
T-Band public safety users will likely either relocate to other UHF-VHF spectrum bands or to public safety spectrum in the 700 MHz or 800 MHz bands. The other possibility is moving to the 700 MHz D-Block where the national public safety broadband network will be located.
Those who are interested further on the future of the T-band and will be attending the IWCE conference in Las Vegas should consider attending the session titled What is the Future of T-Band? The session will be held on March 13, 2013 from ll:00am-12: 15pm.