The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 allocated $135 million for the implementation of a state and local grant program. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) has formed the Office of Public Safety Communication to oversee this funding. Stephen Fletcher has been announced as the chief of this office. The Office of Public Safety Communication will also support the recently formed FirstNet board with procurements and other tasks as assigned by NTIA.
- The Office of Public Safety Communication has been formed to oversee the $135 million funding;
- The grant cycle process for this funding will begin in the first quarter of 2013;
- This office will also work to support FirstNet;
- Stephen Fletcher, former CIO of Utah, will lead the office.
Food for Thought:
- How will the relationship between the Office of Public Safety Communication and FirstNet change once FirstNet has hired dedicated staff?
- How else will the Office of Public Safety Communication support FirstNet?