FirstNet Names PSAC Vice Chairs(Urgent Communications)
Earlier this month Harlin McEwen was selected to serve as the chairman for the Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC). The PSAC will be an advisory committee with the role of assisting the FirstNet board in the deployment and maintenance of the 700 MHz public safety LTE network. This week the remaining members of the PSAC were announced.
- The four PSAC vice chairs are
- Chief Bill McCammon, representing the Metropolitan Fire Chiefs Association
- Paul Patrick, representing the National Association of State EMS Officials
- Heather Hogsett, representing the National Governors Association
- Tom Sorley, representing the U.S. Conference of Mayors.
Food For Thought
- These appointments to the PSAC couldn’t have come sooner.
- Recently NTIA requested comments regarding FirstNet’s proposed architecture. The comments varied but common themes across local governments, state governments, and public safety groups were that they did not feel heard. If the network’s customers (public safety/local governments) do not feel included and grow discontent, FirstNet will have a very difficult time generating the necessary user buy in to make this network a success. This PSAC group appears to be great representation of the concerned stakeholders, which means their inclusion/role in FirstNet decisions will prove to be vital.